Raymond was closer to dream than reality when Hannah Gibb arrived with her 9 children in September of 1901. It had only been two weeks since the site was dedicated for a town and the only completed building was a small lean-to blacksmith shop. It would be another two weeks before the first house was ready to be moved into. Yet here she was with all her belongings, a tent, a few cattle and 9 kids. Hannah had sold her home in Utah and loaded 5 of her children all her belongings on train to Canada. She sent four of the older boys alone to bring the cattle. Hannah was…
Have you ever wondered when parking in the middle of main street started in Raymond? It all starts with the story of a muddy pioneer town. The first attempt to solve Raymond’s mud problem was made in 1907 when William Spackman was hired by the town to build a plank sidewalk. According to an article in the newspaper, they were built so that ladies of Raymond could “do [their] shopping without having [their] skirts weighed down with Raymond mud.” In 1910 Mayor George Budd promised to add more sidewalks and gravel to the roads. He said that if these improvements were made, the people of Raymond could get to “the…
The June 15, 1933 Raymond Recorder (82 years ago today) announced that the construction of an open air dance pavilion was underway at the Raymond Second Ward Chapel. The pavilion was located between the Second Ward Chapel and the Buddhist Temple, where the parking lot behind town hall is now. The pavilion opened June 27th of the same year. At the opening popular local group Kings Kanadiens, led by Louis King, provided the music and approximately 500 people came to dance.